Saturday, November 1, 2014

I Am The Bajan Budgeter

Well you have landed here and you are probably wondering, who the heck is this Bajan and why is she so obsessed with budgeting?  Come in , sit a while and your questions will be answered in due course, perhaps with a bit of rambling, but refreshments will be provided.
I live in the beautiful island of Barbados which is  most Easterly island in the Caribbean Sea, and is considered a luxury tourist destination whose real attraction is sand, sun and sea. With a view like this, it is easy to see why tourists from all over the world flock here in droves:

  
Barbados was once a colony of England, with a history of sugar plantations and the slave labour that went along with that trade. Due to the fact that our island never changed from British rule, our official language is English. We have a dialect called 'Bajan' from which my blog derives its name.
I work in Air Traffic  Control on the island and have enjoyed a stable job for the last five years. One day however, I realised that I wasn't as far ahead as I thought I should be after enjoying an increase in income. This got me to take a hard look at my finances and that eventually led me to budgeting. I had always had an affinity for saving money, but I was also very good at spending it all after the fact, and most of it on impulse buys.
 This all changed when I downloaded my first Excel budget and fell in love. Suddenly I was on fire for information and I started to devour every book I could find on the topic. I did this cheaply by searching for free e-books when Amazon had them up.
I also started to read blogs and websites about personal finance and this eventually led me to YNAB - You Need a Budget. YNAB is a program dedicated to helping you manage the money you have on hand as efficiently as possible. If you love budgeting  or want to get started, click the link and check it out. You will not regret it.
 My love affair with budgeting grew even deeper using YNAB and I knew this was going to be a life-long relationship. I love budgeting because it puts me in control of my own economy. It helped me tidy up the mistakes of the past, live a very rich present and plan ahead for a lush future.
I am writing this blog to share my unique experiences of budgeting on a small island and all of the ups, downs and triumphs that come along the way. 
I strongly believe that it is about the journey and the destination. I want to learn all I can as I travel to my chosen end-game which is financial security and peace of mind. I intend to make my life rich, abundant and luxurious; I do not associate budgeting with denial and lack and I hope to show others how they can achieve the same.
This first post also coincides with the beginning of NaBloPoMo during which I will be writing one post everyday in November. As the month passes you will get to know about my budgeting past, daily struggles and long term goals over this coming month.
 
 I hope you join me for the trip because I am excited to get on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment