Monday, December 22, 2014

Tis the Season

Tis the Season

source

We are staring down the barrel of Christmas Day, and scores of shoppers take to the streets or to the virtual shopping centres filling their baskets with goodies. Tens of thousands of dollars are being spent as I type on all manner of goods and products, some destined for home renovations and the majority will be swaddled in gift wrap and stuck under a tree. Others will be mailed off to all part of the world and even more still will be handed over as part of a gift exchange.

source

Others are warming up their voices and going to dress rehearsals for the church Christmas Program. Mishaps with lighting and sound checks will abound and there will be stifled but merry laughter when Mary drops baby Jesus in the middle of a touching scene. There will be a collective 'Awwww.' as the littlest member of the church stumbles through their recital and the reverent silent appreciation as the best singer in the choir completely nails their solo.
source
source

Meanwhile the Scrooges and the Grinches unite in anti-Christmas rants. They slam their hands over their ears at the sound of yet another overly warm and happy Christmas carol and grumble out loud to anyone who would listen about how much they detest this time of the year. They hold tight unto their purse strings and scoff with disdain at the sales; they turn red with anger at the price of the hams in the supermarket, and stick to buying trays red herring.

source

source

While the 'Bah Humbugs' are being spat from between pursed lips, the minimalists stick fast to their rules and don't purchase anything new unless it is to replace something. If they do buy a new item, an old item leaves their home to keep things in balance. Although they are festive their homes will not have many decorations or lights flashing on the tree, instead they find the simplest way to represent this holiday . The focus of their Christmas is to fill their days with experiences and family.

source
Then there others who follow the older ways and celebrate the Winter Solstice. They are equally disenchanted with the materialism of the season, and turn instead to the bounty of nature. When the Moon is New they will dance in its light and commemorate the end of the year and the beginning of the new one. Through the season they will light candles and set intentions boosted with the incense of Frankincense and Myrrh.


A Season of Reflection and Gratitude

source
I see pieces of my own-self reflected in all of these approaches to the commemoration of the season. As I aged I passed through periods of enthralment and disinterest in this time of year. I took time to feel out what really made me feel happy and contented out of every tradition that was offered and I am ready to create my own without needing to pull down those of others.

Christmas and really the month of December is a time of reflection and gratitude for me. I may choose to show my gratitude for others in the form of gifts or I may not. I feel no great pressure or obligation towards adopting that tradition.

I enjoyed sending out Christmas greeting to my friends and family 'over and away', which is a practice that I will definitely do that again next year.

I also set my intentions of the New Year on the Day of the Winter Solstice and put energy into deciding what will be my path forward in 2015. I am mindful of the twisted road that was 2014, and plan to roll forward all of the lessons I have learned and leave behind any baggage.

Whatever you plan to do this Christmas season, or to celebrate the ringing in of the New Year, I wish you a happy and healthy holiday season. Stay out of the rush and bustle as much as you can, and enjoy many hearty meals. Wishing you love, prosperity and endless abundance for the New Year.


1 comment:

  1. May your Winter Solstice be Blessed and your challenges overcome with vigor and victory.

    ReplyDelete